I still love the book ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas (Or Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas) by Clement C Moore, don’t you? A few days ago we read it during homeschool and did something a little differently than just reading–we had musical story time.
If you’ve never done this, you have to try it! While you read the story, your kids get to add the sound effects. And, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas is a great book for sound effects, with the reindeer hooves on the roof, the window opening, the kids sleeping and Santa’s jingle bells. So, before you read this book with the kiddos and do the craft, round up some sound effects–jingle bells, maracas, chopsticks, and an overturned bowl or kid drum, and upside down cups make excellent reindeer sound effects. Just use your imagination. (Or, even better, let the kids pick out stuff to make their own sound effects!)
ALSO CHECK OUT: 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS PRINTABLES
After the book and music time, make this super cute not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse craft.
Not a Creature Was Stirring Mouse Craft
Red and green craft paper
Googly Eyes (or a black marker to draw the eyes)
White pipe cleaners
White craft ball or rolled up part of cotton ball (for nose)
1. Measure your candy cane on the pieces of paper and then cut ovals slightly larger than the candy cane. Point one end of the oval where the nose will go.
2. Cut two slits in the oval (away from the pointed end) using a craft knife or the point of the scissors.
3. Place the candy cane in between the two slits for the mouse tail. Tape on the back so that the candy cane doesn’t move.
4. Cut up the pipe cleaners so that you have enough for three whiskers on each side of the mouse.
5. Glue the eyes, nose and whiskers onto the mouse.
6. Out of the scrap paper, cut out two 1-inch rectangles and fold in half for the ears. Glue onto the mouse just above the whiskers and eyes.
7. Let dry completely. Tie ribbon around candy cane tail and hang on tree or hand out to your party guests!
You May Also Like
AFFILIATE LINKS ARE USED IN THIS POST.