I’ve been obsessed with flavored popcorn lately, but not those “shake on” popcorn things in weird flavors like dill pickle or jalapeno. I’m talking popcorn that is covered in that yummy, gooey caramel or toffee. (I know, right?) My mind is all like, “I need popcorn! I need popcorn!” all popcorn all the time.
So, because I’m obsessed, I decided we needed a popcorn book-popcorn recipe pairing. (That’s right, mama gets to call the recipe shots on occasion, too.) And,
I we decided to make toffee popcorn.
The book we chose for this pairing is Popcorn! (because, what else?). The cool thing about this book is that it is full of fun facts and information about popcorn that any age (even adults) will enjoy. The book includes trivia, history, recipes and legends in a fun and interesting way–including the question every child wants answered about popcorn, “What makes popcorn pop?” Plus, the illustrations by Brian Lies are fantastic. Popcorn! is a great resource book to own for homeshoolers or teachers, too.
TIP: We use our Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper all the time and we love it. It’s perfect for recipes like this, too!
Easy Toffee Popcorn Recipe
- 10-12 Cups popped popcorn (that's about ½ cup of kernels before popping)
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- ½ Cup brown sugar
- ¼ Cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Pop popcorn and remove unpopped kernels. (We use our Stir Crazy popcorn popper)
- Place popcorn in large mixing bowls.
- In a pot, melt the butter, sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt on low. Stir continuously until the sugar has melted and the sauce has become smooth and thickened, usually around 8-10 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and cool for about 1 minute.
- Drizzle the sauce over the popcorn and stir to coat.
- Store leftovers in a covered container.
Great Paired with this Recipe
AFFILIATE LINKS ARE USED IN THIS POST