I love roasted pumpkin seeds straight from our Halloween pumpkin. It’s one of my favorite things for Halloween. However, my husband and daughter don’t share that same love of those toasted, crunchy seeds with salt. So, I decided to try different pumpkin seed flavors. (They like flavored popcorn, so I decided to try flavored pumpkin seeds to see how they like those, too!)
And you know, I always like to pair up a great recipe with a cool book. This time we chose From Seed to Pumpkin (Let’s-Read-and-Find-Out Science 1) by Wendy Pfeffer. The book uses simple language to describe how a farmer uses a pumpkin seed to grow pumpkins. At the end, there’s a recipe (roasted pumpkin seeds!) and a science experience. It’s also an excellent illustration of how plants grow in general.
Now, back to the food!
Here are my three favorite roasted and flavored pumpkin seed recipes.(Notice that I included my roasted pumpkin seeds with salt, too. It’s still my favorite way!)
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- ¾ tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Before cooking, thoroughly clean all of the pumpkin from the seeds. Rinse seeds in a colander. Drain and dry the seeds on a paper towel.
- Place the seeds in a bowl and add around 2 TB of pumpkin seeds, just until lightly coated.
- Spread pumpkin seeds onto a baking sheet so they are in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake pumpkin seeds for 20 minutes and then stir. Spread them thinly on the baking sheet again and bake for another 20 minutes, or until crispy.
- Remove and sprinkle with sea salt again. Cool completely before eating.
- Follow steps above, adding all of the extra ingredients and stirring to coat the seeds before cooking. After cooking, sprinkle with a little more sugar.
- Follow steps above, adding all of the extra ingredients and stirring to coat the seeds before cooking.
You Might Also Enjoy
AFFILIATE LINKS ARE USED IN THIS POST