Please refer to our DISCLOSURE STATEMENT.
These pumpkin cookies seem to be one of those desserts that everyone loves. They’re not too sweet, but the cream cheese icing makes them just sweet enough, so kids and adults alike love them. And, as an added bonus, they’re pretty easy to make! Whatever you do, double the recipe because you’ll definitely want some for yourself later if you’re making them for a party! (They freeze well, too!)
We paired our pumpkin cookies up with one of our favorite stories: It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. No matter how old we get, Peanuts still seems to be a favorite for all of us (the books and the movies!). Everyone loves watching to see if Linus will be visited by The Great Pumpkin this year, but my favorite part is when they all go trick-or-treating and Charlie Brown keeps getting a rock. (I know, warped, what can I say?)
At any rate, while your pumpkin cookies are baking, pull out your favorite Halloween or Thanksgiving book and spend some family time reading while you wait. Then, you’ll have some hot and fresh cookies to eat after! Enjoy!
Pumpkin Cookies Recipe: Perfect for Halloween or Thanksgiving
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 30-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- [b]For Icing[/b]
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together shortening and sugar. Add eggs and mix until combined.
- Add canned pumpkin and mix until combined.
- To the canned pumpkin mixture, mix in vanilla and flour. Then, add cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Spoon rounded spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely if icing.
- Combine softened cream cheese and softened butter.
- Gradually mix in the sifted confectioners sugar.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Mix until smooth.
- Ice each cookie with the cream cheese icing. Sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice on top.
Other Pumpkin Children’s Books You Might Enjoy
affiliate links are used in this post