Football rice krispie treats are perfect for football game recipes or football game snack ideas, football desserts for tailgating, cute super bowl desserts, a kid sports birthday party, or even if you just need football game recipes ideas. These easy desserts are a twist on the classic treat!
Rice Krispie Football Treats
Do you make football a family event? Do you need football game treats?
Even if your kids aren’t that interested in sports or football, you’ll still have fun creating these football shaped rice krispie treats!
How To Make Rice Crispy Treats with Marshmallows
Traditional rice krispie treats are made with rice crispy cereal, butter, and marshmallows.
Our football shaped treats recipe calls for chocolate rice krispie treats with peanut butter. If you have allergy concerns, you can easily leave out the peanut butter and they will be just as yummy.
Before we get to how to make these football game desserts, let’s cover some common FAQs people have when making this easy dessert.
(It might save you some time!)
Why did my Rice Krispies turn out hard?
Melting the butter and marshmallows over high heat can often make your rice krispie treats turn out hard. Melt the butter and marshmallows together over low heat before adding the rice crispy cereal. Also, if you use too few marshmallows, these desserts can sometimes turn out hard or crunchy.
For our football krispie treats, we use more marshmallows than normal to make the rice krispy cereal softer so you can form them into football shapes.
Do Rice Krispies Treats have dairy?
The traditional Rice Krispies treats recipe does have butter. There are dairy free recipes for rice krispies treats.
Can Rice Krispie Treats be made ahead?
Yes. Rice Krispie treats can be ahead of time and stored for 3-4 days. However, they are better (and chewier!) if made the same day that you are going to serve and eat them.
Do Rice Crispy Treats have to be refrigerated?
Rice crispy treats do not need to be refrigerated. You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze Rice Krispie Treats?
You can freeze rice krispie treats for up to 6 weeks after you make them. To freeze, simply place in layers with parchment paper in between, and store in an airtight container or freezer bag. Once frozen, allow to come to room temperature before eating.
Looking for more football sweets for game day or sports theme parties?
Let’s see what book we paired up with the football rice krispie treats recipe! (These diy football treats easy to make!)
Football Field Rice Krispie Treats paired with Family Huddle Children’s Book
A great football book for kids is Family Huddle by Peyton Manning, written along with his dad and brother.
In case you didn’t know, Manning is a great quarterback who played for the Indianapolis Colts then the Denver Broncos.
His brother is quarterback Eli Manning of the New York Giants.
Family Huddle is based on memories that Peyton has growing up with his father, former NFL star Archie Manning, and also his football peer and brother Eli Manning, where they play football every chance they get growing up in Louisiana.
The illustrations are great, filling the entire page with big, bold colors.
One of the cool things about the book is that it also includes simple illustrations of different football plays–so the football lover in your family will be super interested in this book!
Listed Book Age Range: 4-8 years
OK! Onto the football treats recipe!
For our football game day treats recipe pairing we decided to make these awesome football rice krispy treats because they make a great addition to any football party or sports-themed birthday party and both adults and kids will love them.
Not to mention, the rice krispie treats football shape is fun for kids to make!
These are cocoa krispie football treats (and not made with the regular rice krispies cereal). You could also make them as Cocoa Pebbles football treats (if you prefer that cereal instead).
HOW TO MAKE NO BAKE FOOTBALL RICE KRISPIES TREATS
This rice crispie treats recipe makes about 10. If you need football desserts for a crowd, you can make them smaller, bite sized treats.
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 10-ounce Package Marshmallows + 1/2 of another package
- 1/2 Cup Smooth peanut butter, (optional)
- 6 Cups Kellogg’s® Cocoa Krispies® cereal
- Plain (non-flavored) non-stick cooking spray
- White frosting with fine decorating tip
- In large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add 1 complete bag of marshmallows and 1/2 of the other bag and stir until completely melted.
- Remove the melted marshmallows from heat and stir in peanut butter until melted.
- Add Kellogg’s® Cocoa Krispies® cereal to the mixture in the pot.
- Spray a spatula with non-stick cooking spray and stir with a until all of the cereal is well coated. Cool slightly.
- Spray hands with non-stick cooking spray. Grab a small handful of the rice krispie mixture and roll between your hands, fashioning into a football shape about 3-4 inches in size. Place “footballs” onto wax paper to cool. Repeat making footballs until the mixture is gone. Let footballs cool completely.
- Decorate the footballs by piping white lines around each end of the football. Then, make the “laces” by piping a line down the middle, from one end of the football to the other. Lastly, pipe the lace lines over the horizontal line.
- Store for up to two days in an airtight container or freeze for up to 6 weeks. (Before serving from freezer, allow to come to room temperature.)
This recipes uses more marshmallows than the traditional recipe in order to make the treats more pliable and easier to shape into footballs.
If allergies are a concern, leave out peanut butter.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.
Let us know how your football themed rice krispie treats turn out!
Other Football Books for Kids
Here are some other children’s sports books that will go great with these rice krispie footballs!