If you aren’t aware, Max Lucado has a cute little kids’ character called Little Hermie. Hermie is a “common caterpillar,” but he doesn’t much like being “common.”
In Thank You, God, For Blessing Me,Hermie goes through a list of different things that he is thankful for during his prayer–sleep, food, friends, and more. It’s a sweet little board book with vivid images. It’s a good reminder for kids to remain thankful for the things that they have in their lives.
Even though it’s a board book (which will hold up to your very little ones chewing and being destructive with it), my (almost) five year old still enjoys it. (It’s listed for ages two and up.)
In honor of little Hermie, we made fun caterpillar banana snacks. They’re so easy, but really fun to make with your little ones!
Caterpillar Bug Snacks
- Grapes (green)
- Peanut butter or [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001FQVCA/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=lcrb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0001FQVCA” target=”_blank” title=”Nutella (AFFILIATE)”]Nutella[/url]
- Crispy Chow Mein noodles
- Green sprinkles
- Red Hots or [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BPU1P8/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=lcrb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005BPU1P8″ target=”_blank” title=”Candy Eyes (AFFILIATE)”]candy eyes[/url]
- Wooden skewers
- Cut up the bananas into 1-inch slices.
- Spread banana slices with peanut butter or Nutella on one side.
- Slide each slice onto the wooden skewer so that it forms a line (and sticks together with the peanut butter or Nutella), around six slices, leaving a bit of the pointed end wooden skewer showing at the end (for the grape head later).
- Spread the top piece of banana with peanut butter or Nutella and place a grape head onto the end of the skewer.
- Sprinkle the caterpillar with green sprinkles, which will soak in and turn the banana green the longer the caterpillar sits.
- Use red hots or candy eyes and Chinese noodles for antennae. (Stick them on with more peanut butter or Nutella.)
- If you’re making them for a party, place them on a washed Romaine lettuce leaf (for easier handling) and be sure to refrigerate them immediately until the party.