These caramel brownies (sometimes called Samoas Coconut Caramel Brownies) are so rich, chocolate fudgy, gooey, and delicious. They will quickly become the best brownie recipe or easy dessert for a party.
The first time I ever made this caramel brownies recipe for a party everyone FREAKED OUT because they tasted very close to those Samoas Girl Scout cookies that sell every year and everyone loves.
After that, it was the dessert everyone requested!
I’ve even played around with it one year and made a Samoas brownies cake using a fun bundt pan!
How to Make Caramel Brownies
These brownies aren’t brownies with caramel sauce. Instead, they have a thicker topping mixture of coconut and caramel that is drizzled with melted chocolate.
YUM! (I know!)
When you’re making recipes with kids, simplicity is the key!
So, I never feel embarrassed to use packaged mixes or take shortcuts (and you shouldn’t either!).
You can make these homemade caramel brownies from a box (and makes this brownies recipe easy), but you can make brownies from scratch using your best brownie recipe.
Our yummy caramel brownies start with a packaged fudge brownie mix prepared according to the package cake mix.
(I always use the “chewy” fudge brownie mixes when using brownies in a box.)
What really sets these caramel brownies apart (and turns them into Samoas brownies) is the coconut caramel brownie topping that gets spread over the entire top of the brownies.
Then, you drizzle with chocolate and let chill before serving.
TIP: My new favorite things are these caramel bits! It saves you a ton of time not having to unwrap packaged caramels and they melt faster!
How to Drizzle Chocolate
Learning how to drizzle chocolate can be super tricky because you have to get your chocolate melted juuuuuuust right.
To drizzle chocolate over the caramel brownies, heat semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl for 30 seconds.
Remove from the microwave and stir completely until all chocolate is melted.
It may take a little stirring for it to melt all the way.
If needed, heat for a few seconds at a time, but Do NOT overheat or the chocolate will break down and become chunky instead of smooth.
Immediately transfer melted chocolate to a Ziploc bag or a prepared icing/piping bag with the smallest tip. (If using a Ziploc, snip a tiny piece of one of the bottom corners.)
Gently squeeze the chocolate over the caramel brownies, moving back and forth to drizzle chocolate over the entire top.
The kids will have a blast with this part of the decorating process, so let them go a little crazy!
Caramel Brownies paired with If You Give A Mouse A Brownie
We decided to pair up our caramel brownie recipe with If You Give A Mouse A Brownie book written by
Part of the If You Give A Mouse A Cookie family, If You Give A Mouse A Brownie starts with:
If you give a mouse a brownie, he’s going to ask for some ice cream to go with it.
When you give him the ice cream, he’ll probably ask you for a spoon.
He’ll start drumming on the table. Drumming will get him so excited he’ll want to start a band . . .
And so begins another adventure with mouse, but this time with brownies.
It’s a great book to pair up with our caramel brownie recipe (and don’t forget the ice cream . . . just like mouse!).
Listed Book Age Range: 4-8 years
Easy Caramel Brownies Recipe
These are so good that no one will ever guess that these are caramel brownies with box mix! (We won’t tell if you won’t tell!)
- 1 package Fudge brownie mix + items to make it (according to directions)
- 3 1/2 Cups Shredded coconut, (toasted)
- 2 14-ounce Packages of caramels, (unwrapped)
- 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Milk
- 3 ounces Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare fudge brownie mix according to package directions and cook according to package directions. Cool completely.
- FOR THE TOPPING: Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place coconut on a pie plate. Toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring coconut and continue to cook until toasted. Watch closely because it can burn quickly.
- In a microwaveable bowl, add unwrapped caramels, salt, and milk. Microwave on high for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until all caramels are melted and smooth.
- Add toasted coconut to the caramel mixture and stir. Spread mixture over cooled brownies and then refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Right before serving, heat semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwaveable bowl for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir completely until all chocolate is melted. Heat for a few seconds at a time, if needed. HINT: Do NOT overheat or the chocolate will become chunky instead of smooth. Drizzle over the top of the brownies and cut brownies into serving sizes and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 3gSugar: 56gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.