This apple fries recipe is not only super simple (baked or for the air fryer!), but it makes for a healthy snack for kids or even as one of your yummy apple desserts. This apple snack is also perfect for fall apple orchard picking time, fall apple recipes and anytime you need healthy snacks ideas!
This baked apple fries recipe is a great healthy snack alternative to fried apple rings or fried apple sticks, we’ve given you both the baked recipe as well as how to do air fryer apple fries.
One of our favorite things to do in the fall is to visit an apple orchard near me and then pick our own apples.
But, it’s easy to get carried away while there and come back with more apples than you can eat before they go bad.
So, be sure that you are prepared with baked apple recipes or other healthy apple recipes so your fruits don’t go to waste!
If you’re looking for healthy apple recipes, you’ll love these fries (sometimes called apple sticks)! And, you don’t even need to wait until fall!
(I keep saying apple fries, but you can cut them into apple rings and use this same recipe.)
This is one of our best apple recipes and is always a hit with kids!
Apple Fries In Air Fryer
Yes! You can do apple fries in air fryer, too!
And, air fried apple fries are still the perfect healthy snack!
-See the air fryer recipe directions in the notes section of the recipe-
However, this recipe for baked apple pie fries in the oven is honestly just as easy! So, if you don’t have an air fryer, now worries.
(But, you should definitely get one. I resisted for a while, but I can’t believe how awesome they are!)
How To Make Apple Fries
I know I keep saying it, but making apple fries is so easy that I think you’ll be surprised!
- Cut apples into fries, slices or rings.
- Cover in cinnamon mixture (recipe later).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in oven or 7 minutes in air fryer.
We like to add a caramel dipping sauce to our apple recipe, but they are yummy to eat alone, too!
How to cut apple fries
You peel the apples and then slice them into fry size. We like to use our vegetable chopper for this. (Just be sure to supervise the kids during this step or you slice them.)
We have also used an apple slicer, too.
Here are our read-along suggestions for this recipe:
Apple Fries Paired with 3 in 1: A Picture of God Children’s Book
The 3 in 1: A Picture of God by Joanne Marxhausen is a fantastic book that describes the difficult concept of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit to children by illustrating with an apple.
(So, it’s a perfect pairing with this apple dessert!)
The book talks about how just as the apple is three parts–the skin, the flesh and the seeds–it is still one apple.
Also, there are three “persons” the Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, but only one God.
The artwork and the message are simplified, but that’s what is appealing about this book in teaching what could be a confusing topic.
If you’re looking for a non-biblical book for an apple cooking project, check out Johnny Appleseed: The Legend and the Truth.
From the book:
Everyone knows the legend of Johnny Appleseed, the man from Massachusetts who planted apple trees all the way to California.
But the true story of Johnny Appleseed, or John Chapman, is even greater than the legend.
In deft and lyrical prose, Jane Yolen tells the whole story of an individual who forever changed the landscape of America.
It’s a great read about the legend for any time of the year.
ALSO CHECK OUT:
For our reading-cooking project, we decided to pair it with our baked crispy apple fries – and they were delicious!
We are putting these on our regular snack making schedule after this!
While cutting up the apple, we were able to discuss the concepts of the book again.
Listed Book Age Range: 5-8 years
Baked Apple Fries Recipe
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2/3 Cups Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Caramel sauce (optional, for dipping)
- Heat oven to 350 °F degrees.
- Peel, core and wash apples.
- Slice apples into french fry sticks (or into apple rings). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together corn starch, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Toss apple slices in mixture until covered completely.
- Place apple slices on baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until a slightly crispy outer layer forms.
- Cool slightly before serving. Serve with side of caramel dipping sauce, if you like.
AIR FRYER APPLE FRIES RECIPE
To make apple fries in the air fryer:
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees.
- Prepare apple fries according to the directions above.
- Lightly spray bottom of air fryer basket with oil or non-stick cooking spray.*
- Spray apple fries with light spray of oil.
- Layer apple fries in a single layer in basket. (Do not overlap. You may have to cook in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer basket.) Cook for 5 minutes.
- Using tongs, turn apple slices over and cook for 2 more minutes. Carefully remove from basket with tongs and let cool on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Repeat until all slices are cooked.
*I added the cooking oil recommendation after some people were saying that these were sticking to their air fryer basket. We haven't had this experience with our air fryer, so use your best judgment for your air fryer!
Serving Size:4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233
More Apple Books for Kids