How to dry apple slices for decoration or eating is a fun kids’ activity, especially during fall apple picking time! Our easy dry apple recipe for dehydrated apples makes delicious healthy snacks, and are also great for for making fruit garland (apple wreath craft), Christmas decorations ornaments, or nature crafts for kids. These homemade oven baked apple chips can be used for a variety of things — even apples for food preservation and storage!
HOW TO DRY APPLE SLICES
Every wondered about making dried apples? You can dehydrate apples for food storage, eat dried apples as a delicious snack of apple chips, or make apple crafts (like nature garland for a fall craft)! I think you’re in for a surprise because drying apples is so much easier than you think! It’s a fun fall activity and make healthy apple snacks after you visit the apple orchard for the fall time of year / apple season!
How To Make Dried Apples In Oven
- Wash and core apples. (Any type of apple you like, sour or sweet apple — from Granny Smith to Red Delicious to Pink Lady to Gala apples and more apple varieties!)
- Using a sharp knife, cut thinly sliced apples (skin on).
- Place apples on a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. (Good news! You don’t need a fruit dehydrator!)
- Slowly bake apples in oven, turning halfway through.
- If eating, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or leave dehydrated apple slices (they’re such an easy snack!).
- If using dried apples for decorations, leave plain and allow to cool before stringing on garland or using dry apples for crafts.
- How to store dried apple slices: store dried apples in an airtight container (like a glass jar / mason jar) on the in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator). You can store apples for a quick snack anytime!
I love these because you can make them as dehydrated apples not crispy (more chewy) or crisp them up. You can definitely do chewy vs crispy apples with this recipe based on how thick you slice apples (or thin) and how long you cook apples.
KEEP SCROLLING to see the full how to make dried apple slices for decoration and dried apples for eating below. Also, how to dry apples in microwave!
Before we get to how to cook dried apples, let’s answer some questions you may have about a drying apples recipe…
Can you dry apples in the oven?
Yes! You can dry apples in ovens, but you have to do it slowly at low oven temperatures so that the apples don’t burn or get crispy!
See apple drying instructions below.
What can you do with dried apples?
What to make with dried apples:
- Eat dried apples as a healthy snack
- Make fruit garland out of dry apples
- Chop them up for use in breads, muffins and cookies
- Use dried apples in homemade potpourri
- Add dried apples to homemade trail mix
- Make dried apple oatmeal
- Garnish drinks with dried apples
- Use them for your tea
- Make best dried apples dipped in chocolate and hand them out as holiday gifts
- Freeze dried apples to bake with later
- Decorate with dry apples
- Make dried apple Christmas ornaments
- Use them for dried apple crafts
ALSO CHECK OUT MORE APPLE IDEAS:
How To Make Dried Apple Garland (or fun dried apple wreath)
Are dried apples good for you?
Plain dried apples are good for you because they are just apples with the liquid (water) removed. If you dry them plain without adding sugar, they are a healthy snack for kids.
How do you dehydrate apple slices?
Let’s answer some common questions about how to make your own dried apples and dehydrate apples in oven…
How do you dry apple slices in the oven for decorations?
How to make dried apple chips for eating is the same process as drying apple slices in the oven for decorations. So, how do you dry apples for crafts? Place apple slices in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 225°F for up to 2 hours.
What temperature do you dry apple slices at?
Drying apples should be done low and slow, meaning at a low temperature over a couple of hours. The dehydrating apples temperature is should be around 200-225°F for 2 hours.
How long does it take to dry apple slices?
How long to dehydrate apples in the oven? It takes around 2 hours to dry apple slices in the oven (but only a few minutes for dried apples in the microwave). Add less time if you want chewy apples and more if you want crispy apple chips.
MORE HEALTHY FOOD IDEAS: Healthy Food Activities For Toddlers
How long do dried apples last?
Wondering how long do dried apple slices last? Dried apples last up to 6 months if stored in a cool, dry area in an airtight container. You can also freeze dry apple for up to 1 year and use them in baked goods, teas, and more.
Here’s how to make dried apple rings (oven dried apples)…
Easy DIY Dried Apple Recipe
How To Dehydrate Apples in the Oven
We dehydrate apples without a dehydrator and make oven-dried apples, but you can also do these dried apple rings recipe in a food dehydrator. (We sometimes call them dehydrated apple chips even though they’re baked in the oven.)
This is a basic recipe for drying apples. If you want dried apples recipes for snacking and like things a little sweeter, sprinkle the apple slices with a little cinnamon and sugar before drying in the oven.
(Or, if you want healthy baked apple slices, leave off the sugar and just use cinnamon. My daughter loves them as plain dehydrated apples for snacking.)
This recipe is great if you want to know how to make soft dried apples. You can make these crispy dried apple chips or chewy dried apples. (We like ours chewy.) The thickness of the slices of the fresh apples make a difference in crisp apples or chewy apple chips. (Thicker apple slices will be chewy.)
Be aware that the fruit will crisp more the more they are cooked. If you want chewy apples, check them before the 2 hour mark. They will also harden a little after they sit.
Here’s how to make crispy dried apples or chewy dried apple slices in oven. This really does make the best apples for snacking!
- 1 apple (any flavor/variety)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Wash and dry apples. Leave skin on. If you have an apple corer, you can core the apples, but this is optional.
- Slice apples in round slices, about 1/8-inch thick. (You can also use a mandoline for slicing.)
- Place apple slices on baking sheet parchment paper, taking care not overlap them.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (optional).
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour, turn each apple slice over. Bake for remaining hour.
- If you want crispy apple chips, leave in a little longer. They will get crispier as they sit after baking. If you want chewier apple slices, remove from oven before the 2 hour mark.
- After cooling, store in an airtight container or use for crafts or fruit garland.
How to dry apples in oven: One apple can make 6-8 slices, so use as many apples as you want dried apple chips or apple slices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 20Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.
How To Dry Apples Fast Without A Dehydrator
Can you dry apples in the microwave?
Want to know how to dehydrate apples without a dehydrator or the oven? Use the microwave!
How to dry apples in microwave is a simple process:
- Place a single layer of apple slices on parchment paper or paper towels.
- Microwave at 50% for 5 minutes.
- Flip and continue microwaving at 30 second intervals.
- Continue process until edges of apples start to slightly curl.
RECIPE AND READ: Apple Children’s Books To Pair With How To Make Dried Apples At Home
The drying process for this recipe can take 2-3 hours, so it’s great to have some fall apple books to go with this apple activity!
- Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn
- Apples, Apples Everywhere!
- How Do Apples Grow?
- Apples for Everyone (Picture the Seasons)
- Apple Picking Day! (Step into Reading)
Let us know which recipes for drying apples you end up using to pair with your books about apples for kids!
Try this recipe for kids activities next: Easy Apple Fries Recipe (baked and air fryer apple chips)