Hashbrown breakfast casserole is our family favorite Christmas morning casserole, but I also make it for Easter brunch recipe, for holiday dinners or as a potato side dish for cookouts and dinner sides, too. If you like the Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole or are looking for a copycat recipe, you’ll love this simple cheesy potatoes recipe. It’s the best comfort food ever!
Best Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Recipe
This is my all-time favorite cheesy potato casserole. This is one of those easy recipes that’s just as good the next day!
Simple Ingredients For Hashbrown Casserole
What You Need To Make This Recipe:
- Shredded potatoes hash browns
- Cream Of Chicken Soup
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Melted butter
PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BELOW: Keep scrolling for the full ingredients measurements and recipe directions.
Tips For How To Make Breakfast Casserole With Hashbrowns Step By Step
I keep a bag of hash browns in the freezer for frozen potato recipes just like this one. We think it tastes like Cracker Barrel’s hashbrown casserole and this is a dish my family never gets tired of eating!
Recipe Tip: Double The Recipe
This is a really easy recipe to double.
I then divide it into two greased baking dishes and bake.
Even if we don’t need two hashbrown casseroles, I still like to make more and freeze the second one.
RECIPE TIP: After the cooked hashbrown casserole cools, cut into individual servings and freeze. That way you have easy side dishes or even a lunch dish when you’re too tire to cook!
Secret Recipe Tip For The Best Hashbrown Casserole (That Tastes Like A Copycat Cracker Barrel Recipe)
Personally, I think one of the best hash brown casserole tips is to chop your onions fine (and I think it’s one recipe step that most people miss)!
I’ve notice that this is how onions are chopped with most restaurant hashbrown casserole recipes and I think that makes all the different in the texture and flavor.
This is how I always make this casserole dish recipe and people always comment how much it tastes like Cracker Barrel’s hashbrown casserole recipe!
Recipe Tips For Cheesy Casserole Topping
If it seems like your cheese is melting faster and the cheese on the top of the casserole is getting brown before the cooking time is up, cover the top with aluminum foil. Then, remove it the last 10-15 minutes of cooking to melt.
SECRET RECIPE TIP: If you have time (I often don’t…), shred your own cheese from block cheddar cheese instead of buying the prepackaged cheese. It really makes this a better cheesy casserole because you get more melt to your cheese. The prepackaged cheese is coated to keep the cheese pieces from sticking together and doesn’t melt as well.
Printable Hashbrown Casserole Recipe Card
This is a pretty close copycat Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole If you love southern breakfast casseroles with potatoes, you’ll definitely love this. It’s our go-to easy breakfast casserole and a family favorite!
NOTE: Some people also call these funeral potatoes. It’s a Southern casserole recipe that people drop off at people’s house after they’ve had a loss in the family. When I’ve had them, funeral potato recipes are usually served with a crushed corn flakes topping / breadcrumb topping (or even crushed potato chips), while this casserole made with hashbrowns doesn’t usually have a topping (except cheese).
You can also make this with fresh potatoes, but it’s so much easier using store-bought shredded potatoes (frozen hash browns). (Trust me on this one, I once shredded fresh potatoes for these and it took forever and I couldn’t tell the difference in taste.)
This is an easy breakfast recipe and also the perfect side dish for dinners or great addition for a potluck dish!
Don’t miss another great recipe with potatoes after this hashbrown casserole breakfast recipe card.
- 26 to 30-ounce bag frozen, shredded hash browns, thawed
- 1 can Cream Of Chicken Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x11 casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together Cream Of Chicken Soup, 1 cup of cheese, sour cream, and onion. Stir to mix well.
- To the mixing bowl mixture, add in hashbrowns and butter. Carefully stir to coat hashbrowns completely.
- Salt and pepper, to taste. (I usually do about 1 teaspoon of each.)
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of shredded cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until bubbly and cheese is melted on top.
RECIPE TIP: If you don't have cream of chicken soup, you can substitute cream of mushroom soup (or other canned cream of soups). You can also substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 741mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.
Other Additions For A Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
This is definitely one of those easy recipes you can play around with.
Great With This Recipe:
- Topping the casserole with crushed cornflakes or crushed potato chips
- Add chopped green onions and extra sour cream on top when serving
- Any favorite cheese or a mix of different cheeses
- Add in cooked ground beef for a beefy casserole, ground breakfast sausage, or cooked chicken for a hearty meal or addition to a holiday meal / holiday breakfasts
- Add other vegetables like red or green bell peppers
- Try it with tator tots instead of making cheesy hash browns
If you love this recipe, also try this other potato recipe: Crispy Mashed Potato Pancakes