Green beans and potatoes in crockpot is one of those easy crockpot recipes. You can make this as a green bean recipe with bacon or ham or make it as a vegetarian crockpot recipe! Simple slow cooker recipe that makes a full meal or a great side dish for a fall recipe, winter dinner or summer cookouts!
How To Make Southern Style Green Beans And Potatoes In Crockpot
If you’re looking for the southern potatoes and green beans recipe that you remember from a large gathering / family cookouts, this is it! This is the traditional recipe that I remember my mom making and having at all my family gatherings growing up with big slabs of homemade cornbread. This green beans ham potatoes crock pot recipe is a great weeknight meal, an easy Thanksgiving side dish / recipe for holidays or easy crock pot side dishes for cookout or BBQ any time of year! This is a crockpot meal the whole family loves — even the picky eater!
How To Cook Green Beans and Potatoes In a Crock Pot
For crockpot ham potatoes and green beans, you’ll need:
- Potatoes (yellow potatoes, white potatoes, red potatoes, or new potatoes)
- Green beans (see our secret tip for the best crockpot green beans and ham!) – canned green beans or fresh beans
- Minced garlic
- Bacon or ham or ham hock (leftover ham works great for this simple recipe and one of my favorite ways to use up ham leftovers, especially after all the holiday ham left over!)
- Chicken broth
For this easy recipe slow cooker meal, we use can green beans and potatoes (fresh), but you can also use fresh green beans from the garden for this crockpot recipe. (Fresh green beans in crock pot are great, too!)
See the full crockpot green beans and potatoes recipe below with printable recipe card! (We also have directions for ham and green beans on stove and in the oven recipe after the main slow cooker green beans and potatoes recipe.)
Before we get to the crock pot green beans and ham recipe, let’s answer some common questions people have when making this dish…
How long to cook ham green beans and potatoes in crock pot?
Cook ham, green beans and potatoes in the crock pot on high for around 2-3 hours. Any longer and you run the chance of your potatoes being cooked through, but your green beans becoming mushy.
Can you put raw potatoes in a slow cooker?
Yes! With this ham, green beans and potatoes slow cooker recipe (or any crock pot recipe), you just peel and chop your fresh potatoes and add them to the cooker. Layer them in the bottom with the liquid covering them because the potatoes will take longer to cook than the other items.
What can I add to green beans for flavor?
If you want to add more flavor to any easy crockpot green beans recipe, try some of these for extra flavor:
- Chicken broth / chicken stock
- Beef broth
- Vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic / garlic powders
- Onion or onion powder
- Chili powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Chopped bell pepper
- Liquid smoke or steak spice (for a smoky flavor)
- Bacon grease (Yes, really! If you’re making slow cooker green beans and potatoes with bacon, add a little of the bacon grease to make the recipe more flavorful!)
Do you cut green beans before cooking?
If you are using fresh green beans and potatoes in crock pot, you will want to snap off the ends or the beans (or trim the ends) and then pull any string that is along the edge. (If it has a string or not will depend on the type of green beans you’re using.) You can then cut them into bite-sized pieces or leave them long for cooking. This recipe makes tender green beans in crock pot!
AFTER MAKING CROCK POT POTATOES AND GREEN BEANS, TRY THIS SLOW COOKER RECIPE:
Southwest Sweet Potato Soup with Chicken in Crockpot
How Long To Cook Green Beans And Potatoes In Crock Pot
Potatoes and green beans crock pot recipe will take about 3 hours on high to cook in the slow cooker. However, your cooking time may vary based on your specific crockpot. The potatoes will the soft to pierce when done, so keep an eye your cook time the first time you make this recipe.
Store leftovers in airtight container.
Let’s get to how to cook canned green beans and potatoes in crock pot!
How To Make Ham Green Beans and Potatoes In Crockpot
Crock pot green beans and potatoes is one of my favorite green bean recipe crock pot for cool weather comfort food or even a quick party side dish. (It’s also great for easy holiday recipes for parties or when you need easy holiday meals on busy nights!)
I’ve made this recipe with whatever potatoes we’ve had at home from baby reds to Russet potatoes to Yukon Gold potatoes and it still makes a delicious meal!
- We make our green beans & potatoes and bacon crockpot recipe with bacon or chopped up ham. (Sometimes, if we’ve made a ham, I throw the ham bone in there, too.)
- We use regular white baking potatoes, but you can make this as crockpot green beans and new potatoes, too.
- This doesn’t have to be just potatoes green beans and ham! You can make this as crockpot chicken potatoes and green beans by adding chicken right to the crockpot to cook with the potatoes and beans.
- Also try it as a crock-pot potatoes, sausage and green beans recipe! We sometimes add smoked sausage or kielbasa sausage to it! (It’s a family favorite this way, too.)
- It’s easy to cook this as a crockpot green beans and potatoes vegetarian version! If you want to make it a vegetarian dish, you can leave the meat out and switch out the chicken broth for vegetable broth and it will still be tasty and have so much flavor and make a hearty meal recipe vegetarian style!
- Feeding a large group? Just add more cans of green beans and cut potatoes! Adjust the cups of water and/or broth to completely cover the ingredients. (Great recipe to double or triple!)
CROCKPOT GREEN BEANS POTATOES AND HAME SECRET RECIPE TIP: We use the southern Allen’s green beans (or those big flat Italian green beans like this) because they really are the best with potatoes!
We like to serve dish this crockpot ham green beans and potatoes recipe with a big hunk of homemade cornbread with butter!
Do you have to use a crockpot? Nope! (I just do it because it makes it a super simple recipe.) The stovetop green beans recipe and oven potatoes and green beans recipe are both after this slow cooker recipe.
(Get the canned green beans ham and potatoes stove top recipe after the recipe card!)
Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
We love Allen's green beans (if you can find them), but any thicker canned or fresh green beans will work! I use a slotted spoon to drain off the liquid when serving, but some people like it served with the liquid it was cooked in, so try it out!
EASY RECIPE TIP: Make your crockpot ham green beans and potatoes with those cubed pieces of ham you find in the sandwich meat section / refrigerated section. (When they're on sale, I grab them and freeze the ham for this green beans recipe and for slow cooker soups!)
- 4-6 white potatoes, peeled and cubed*
- 2 - 14.5 ounce cans canned green beans, undrained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound thick cut bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place cubed potatoes into the crockpot.
- Spoon in minced garlic and stir.
- Add canned green beans (with liquid) and uncooked bacon. Stir to combine.
- Pour chicken broth over mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with lid and cook on high for 3 hours.
*The amount of potatoes will depend on how big your crockpot is.
This is a really easy recipe to play around with, including doubling the recipe for larger crowds. If you don't have bacon, you can also add cooked ham pieces or even a ham bone from a cooked ham.
If you're using fresh green beans, use around 2 pounds with the ends trimmed and increase chicken broth to 3 cups.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 690mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.
Here are the directions if you don’t want to make green beans ham and potatoes in a crockpot.
How do you make ham, potatoes and green beans on the stove?
Southern slow cooker green beans and potatoes can easily be made on the stovetop, too. Place all ingredients in a large pot or dutch oven. If needed, add additional water until potatoes and beans are covered. Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork.
How do you cook green beans and potatoes in oven?
While crockpot ham, green beans and potatoes are super easy in the slow cooker, you can also make ham potatoes and green beans in the oven recipe. Instead of canned green beans, use fresh green beans with the ends trimmed. Toss peeled and cubed potatoes in olive oil, salt, and herbs, and bake on a baking pan at 425°F for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
The flavor is different than the southern green beans recipe in the crockpot, but these roasted potatoes and green beans are good, too.
RECIPES BASED ON CHILDREN’S BOOKS:
I think this is a fun recipe to pair up with children’s books about gardening, especially if you have picky eaters who might not want to try/eat green beans or potatoes.
Helping them understand where the green beans and potatoes come from might make them more willing to try this recipe!
Here are great books to go with this green bean and potato crock pot recipe:
Do you cook your slow cooker green beans with bacon & potatoes or ham?