Need creative snow activity ideas for snow crafts or winter fun activities, snow storm activity, educational activities, and ideas for having fun in the snow? Try these fun things to do in the snow and also indoor activities for the entire family — snow activities for adults and kids alike, including snowflake and snowman crafts! Great if you need winter activities for school, troops, or homeschool co-op, too!
SNOW ACTIVITY IDEAS: OUTDOOR AND INDOOR WINTER IDEAS FOR KIDS
Here are some fun things to do in the snow and then indoor snow activities to warm back up inside! Whether you’re looking for outdoor snow activities for preschoolers or toddlers, tweens and teens, or a mix of ages, there’s something here for everyone!
What do you do on a boring snow day?
Here are ideas for having fun in the snow and outdoor snow activities and then indoor winter fun for warming up inside!
Family Winter Activities and Fun Snow Activities:
- Make snow ice cream
- Paint in the snow
- Try snowshoeing
- Go sledding with a snow saucer or fun unicorn sled or flamingo snow tube
- Make tie-dye snow or a snow art activity with food color
- Have a winter scavenger hunt or nature scavenger hunt
- Blow bubbles and watch them freeze (if temperature is below freezing)
- Have a snowball fight
- Make snow angels and then do a snow angel activity and decorate them with snow paint
- Do a snow slime activity
- Make a hot chocolate bar or hot chocolate charcuterie board and have a winter bonfire
- Make snowflakes crafts
- Do an animal tracks in the snow activity while hiking (grab these cool animal tracks flashcards)
- Host a Zoom online scavenger hunt for your kids and their friends
- Grow a snowflake (super fun snowflake activity or snow science activity!)
- Make a snow fort or snow castle (grab a block maker first!)
- Have a board game marathon or snow activities games
- Make a snowman craft for the whole family
- Create nature garland for birds and wildlife
- Make maple snow taffy
- Build a snow penguin
- Create a snow globe classroom activity (directions below)
- Transform your living room to a movie theater and have a winter movie marathon
These are some quick ideas for a snow activity for kids, but don’t miss our full winter list of projects and directions below! (So keep scrolling for more winter activities for kids!)
TIP: If your kids are going stir crazy, search online for indoor activities for kids near me and see if there are any special indoor activities in winter or fun snowed in activities.
YOU’LL ALSO LOVE:
How To Make Fake Snow Winter Fun
Maybe you want to do some fun snow day activities, but you live in a place without snow. Or, maybe you want an indoor snow day activity?
Enter: fake snow activities! You can have a snow day any day!
Indoor snow day ideas:
- Make fake snow and then do a fake snow activity (like an edible snow globe!)
- Have fake snowballs fight or knock down the snowball activity
- Make your own snow cream with shaved ice
- Put fake snowflakes on your windows
- Play the snowman plate game
- Make a snowman face cake
- Make a hot chocolate charcuterie tray and snuggle down with festive family movies
These are all great snow activities for toddlers, preschool and up, but see below for specific snow and snowflake activity preschool and toddler ideas.
Indoor Snow Activities For Toddlers or Preschoolers
Toddler Snow Activity Ideas:
- Build a Snowman you can eat!
- Make and play with winter sensory bins (great indoor snow activity for preschool classroom, too!)
- Build an igloo out of ice cubes
- Make whipped cream “snow” (fill a pan with whipped cream and add some play toys)
- Make a Playdough igloo
- Do a snowman activity with a felt snowman
- Get a snowman stacker
- Make a mini snow inside
- Fill a water table with snow and let them play, even as melts (this can be a good snow science activity for toddlers as they watch how heat transitions snow into water!)
- “Camp” indoors (even with a “fire”!)
- Do a paint the snow activity indoors using shaved ice and food coloring
- Gather up the Lego people or mini animals and do an instant snow activity
- Fill up the bathtub, throw in some ice cubes, and go “ice fishing”
If you want to head outside, try making monster footprints in the snow!
ALSO CHECK OUT: Winter Snow Activity Holidays For Winter Break
What do you eat on a snow day?
One of the best things about a snowy day is what you get to eat when you come back in from playing in the snow!
Here are snow day treats to warm you up:
- Homemade hot chocolate
- Spaghetti in a hot dog bun
- Southwest sweet potato soup (our #1 favorite recipe for soups!)
- Hot ham and cheese sliders
- Put white bean chicken chili in the crockpot so it’s ready when you come back in!
How do you enjoy a snow day?
Here are our favorite snow activities ideas – both indoor and out when you’re wondering what is a popular winter activity?
Snowbound Books for Kids
Lastly, don’t forget to read some snow books for your snow activity holidays and winter activities on snow!