Wondering how to dry pumpkin seeds to eat or how to prepare pumpkin seed? Drying pumpkin seeds from fresh pumpkins is an easy process, but can take time. So plan accordingly when looking at making roasted pumpkin seeds or other recipes with your seeds!
How To Dry Pumpkin Seeds To Eat (From Fresh Pumpkin!)
Pumpkins are the start of Halloween, which means pumpkin carving and eating. But what do you do with all those seeds? You can’t just throw those punkin’ seeds out because they make a tasty snack for kids and Halloween parties! Dry those seeds off in order to eat them later! Here’s how:
How do you air dry pumpkin seeds?
To air dry pumpkin seeds you’ll need to rinse the pumpkin seeds (in the pumpkin guts) in a colander, removing any fresh pumpkin or pumpkin fiber. Dab the wet pumpkin seeds with paper towel. Spread evenly on wax paper and allow seeds to air dry, usually around 2 hours.
*see full how to directions and tips in the How To below
How to Clean Pumpkin Seeds
Cleaning pumpkin seeds step-by-step:
- Scoop pumpkin seeds from fresh pumpkin and place on a paper covered table.
- Remove as many of the seeds as you can from the pumpkin “guts” and place pumpkin seeds in a colander.
- Rinse pumpkin seeds, using your fingers to sort out any pumpkin pulp and fiber. Continue rinsing until pumpkin seeds are clean.
- Spread pumpkin seeds out on wax paper to dry, usually overnight.
- Roast pumpkin seeds using your favorite roasted pumpkin seed recipe!
Cleaning and cooking pumpkin seeds is a great fall activity for kids (or even for Halloween activities for kids). It’s fun to scoop out the seeds from the pumpkin, get messy, and then get to eat a fun recipe for kids! You can also use the time to talk about pumpkin life cycles and read some pumpkin books for kids!
Now let’s cover do pumpkin seeds need to dry before roasting…
Do pumpkin seeds need to be dry to roast?
Pumpkin seeds should be dried before roasting them. Drying pumpkin seeds serves several purposes:
- Allows any seasonings to cling better to the dried seeds
- Makes roasted pumpkin seeds crunchy
- Allows you to be able to store them easily without them going bad as quickly
How long do pumpkin seeds have to dry?
Depending on the amount of pumpkin seeds you have and the method you use for drying, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes (for low temperature oven drying) up to 4 hours+ (for air drying) to get your pumpkin seeds dry.
How long are pumpkin seeds good for before roasting?
You may be wondering how long can pumpkin seeds sit out before cooking. Fresh pumpkin seeds that are wet out of the pumpkin can sit for a few hours before being cleaned and roasted. However, if you are not going to dry or roast your pumpkin seeds for a few day, pick as much of the pumpkin away from the seeds as you can and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Do raw pumpkin seeds need to be refrigerated?
If you are not cleaning and drying the pumpkin seeds right away after removing them from the pumpkin, you will need to refrigerate them. Pumpkin seeds can be stored in an airtight container (with some of the pumpkin) for 3-4 days. Any more than that and the pumpkin seeds may start to mold.
What To Do With Pumpkin Seeds
Once you’ve dried pumpkin seeds, they can be used in a variety of ways!
How to eat pumpkin seeds:
- Plain (raw)
- Seasoned and roasted as a snack
- On salads
- In soups
- Baked in breads or muffins
- Used in homemade trail mix
- Mixed with smoothies
- Mixed with granola cereal
- With oatmeal
- Used on cheese plates or charcuterie boards
- In any recipes with pumpkin seeds or substituted for other seeds
- & more!
Check out how to eat pumpkin seeds:
Drying Pumpkin Seeds For Roasting and Eating
- Fresh pumpkin
- Wax Paper
- Carefully, cut top out of pumpkin (to create the "lid" for the pumpkin that you're carving).
- Scoop out guts and and seeds of pumpkin. Separate as many of the seeds as you can and place seeds in colander. Dispose of the rest of the pumpkin guts. (We like to put ours outside for the squirrels!)
- Rinse pumpkin seeds, removing pumpkin guts until seeds are clean. Pat seeds dry with paper towel.
- Place a long piece of wax paper on the counter. Spread clean seeds in a single layer on the wax paper to air dry, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Test that seeds are dry and roast them for eating! (GET ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS RECIPE HERE) Store in airtight container until ready to use.
How To Dry Pumpkin Seeds In Oven: Pumpkin seeds can also be dried in the oven. Preheat oven to lowest setting (usually 200 °F). Place washed and patted dry seeds on a cooking sheet in a single layer. Roast for up to 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes, until dry.
Children’s Books About Pumpkin
After cleaning pumpkin seeds for roasting, read some pumpkin books for kids while the seeds are drying!