Wondering how to make minion pops? If you’re looking for minion party cake pops, you’ll love these easy marshmallow pops instead! These also make the perfect edible minion party favor for your minion theme party or Despicable Me birthday party!
How To Make Minion Pops No Fondant or Cake!
I love these party snacks because they’re perfect for a minions themed birthday party for boy or a minion themed birthday party for girl — everyone at our party (even the adults) loved these minion party food ideas!
These are so easy that you could actually have this as a Despicable Me craft for kids, minion themed party food station project during the party, or a little minions party theme just for your family while watching minions movies or after you read minion books.
To Make Minions Marshmallow Pops You’ll Need:
- Large marshmallows
- Yellow Candy Melts
- Blue Candy Melts (or, White Candy Melts and blue coloring specifically for melts)
- Black decorating gel
- Cake Pop Sticks
- Candy Eyes
- Cooking Spray
- Wax Paper
- Mini Crock Pots (optional)
- Clear cellophane favor bags (optional, if using them for party favors)
See the full mini minion cake pop recipe below! You’ll love these minion cake pop ideas!
Minions On A Stick Tip
Because these are fun to make with kids, I recommend that you use two lunch size crock pots like these. (We use ours quite often for parties, cooking projects, and dips, also!) It makes it easier to keep the chocolates melted while you make minions and they’re safer than a double boiler when cooking with kids. It will be much easier to make these minion treats using the mini crockpots.
Can you make cake pops without candy melts?
You can make these marshmallow pops or any cake pops without candy melts and use fondant or regular icing. However, when you’re making characters (like minion characters) the candy melt sets up quickly and provides a strong outer shell so that you can easily decorate the pops.
YOU’LL ALSO LIKE:
Here’s how to make minion cake pops… except with only marshmallows and no cake! (If you’re looking for how to make a minion cake without fondant, this is a great alternative!)
Easy Marshmallow Minion Pops Recipe
We are calling these a minion cake pops recipe, but there is really no cake (it’s only marshmallows). You could easily make these using your favorite cake pop recipe like we did for our brownie bites and decorate them according to the directions we’ve provided in this minion recipe.
You could also dip a cookie and let it dry to the bottom of the minion marshmallows and easily turn this into minion cookies / Despicable Me cookies or place them on top of cupcakes for cupcake minion cake bites (or cute minion cupcakes).
- 24 oz bag large marshmallows
- 14 oz bag Wilton Yellow Candy Melts
- 14 oz bag Wilton Blue Candy Melts*
- Black decorating gel
- Lollipop (cake pop) Sticks or Craft Sticks
- Candy Eyes
- Cooking Spray
- In two separate small crockpots or double boilers, melt the yellow chocolates in one and the white chocolates (or the blue if you can find them) in the other.
- Place a piece of wax paper on your work area and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- IF USING WHITE CHOCOLATE MELTS AND BLUE COLORING: Once the white chocolate is melted, add a drop of the blue candy coloring and stir. Continue to add drop by drop until you get the desired color. NOTE: Do NOT use regular food coloring. It doesn’t work well with the melted chocolate.
- Before covering with the candy melts, roll each marshmallow in your hand to reshape.
- With a butter knife or spoon, cover the top and the sides of the marshmallow ¾ of the way down with the yellow melts. This will be the minions head/body/face. Smooth the yellow melted chocolate with a knife or back of the spoon.
- Insert the cake pop stick into the top (un-iced) part of the marshmallow, but do not punch through the bottom.
- Holding the stick, turn marshmallow over and ice the remaining part of the marshmallow (including the bottom) with the blue icing. (This will be the minions pants.)
- Hold the covered marshmallow and let the chocolate set for a few seconds before moving on to the next step.
- Once chocolate has set on marshmallow, use the black gel to create a line near the top of the marshmallow for the glasses band. (SEE PICTURE) Place one or two eyes on the gel line, press lightly. Make a smile with the black gel. (Vary the smile, eyes, and glasses!) **If the eyes don't set, place some melted chocolate on the back with a toothpick and gently press back onto the face
- Place the marshmallows on the prepared wax paper and let stand until dry. Repeat until you’ve used all the marshmallows and made your minion army!
*If you can't find blue candy melts, use white Melts with blue Wilton's food coloring. DO NOT use regular food coloring because it does not mix well with melted chocolate.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.
Let us know how your minion treats recipe turns out!