Tried pumpkin cornbread (also called pumpkin spice cornbread recipe)? It’s not your regular homemade cornbread recipe! If you’re looking for a new pumpkin recipe (or wondering what can I do with too much pumpkin?), try this!
BEST PUMPKIN CORNBREAD RECIPE
I’ve been making a homemade cornbread recipe for … a long time. But, this year I heard someone talking about baking with pumpkin in their cornbread and decided to try it.
(Spoiler: we all loved it! My kid said she like this better than our plain cornbread recipe.)
I made the pumpkin cornbread in cast iron skillet, but you can also make it in a regular baking pan, as pumpkin cornbread muffins, or whatever corn bread recipe pan you use normally. (It’s great if you’re looking for non-traditional cornbread muffin ideas!)
What do you eat with cornbread?
- Cold glass of milk
- Alone with butter or cinnamon butter
Before baking cornbread, read through these tips to help:
Why does my cornbread stick to my cast iron skillet?
If your cornbread is sticking to your cast iron skillet, make sure you are using a seasoned skillet. Then, heat oil in the cast iron pan before filling it with the cornbread batter and baking. After baking, allow your cornbread to cool slightly and it will be less likely to stick to the skillet.
Should you let cornbread cool before removing from pan?
Allow your cornbread to cool slightly or completely before removing it from the pan. The longer cornbread sits, the better it will hold together. This makes it easier to remove from the pan after cooling.
Does cornbread need to be refrigerated?
Cornbread can be stored on in an airtight container at room temperature for a couple of days. You can refrigerate cornbread for up to a week, or freeze the cornbread in a freezer container.
PUMPKIN RECIPES NOTE: This pumpkin spice cornbread is not sweet, it is savory pumpkin cornbread. However, adding butter, cinnamon butter, or honey will give it the sweetness if you crave that.
TRY WITH PUMPKIN CORNBREAD:
Use pumpkin cornbread with cinnamon honey butter for a yummy treat!
Let’s get to our skillet pumpkin cornbread!
Easy Pumpkin Cornbread Recipe
You can make this pumpkin cornbread with Jiffy mix or a pumpkin cornbread mix, but it’s just as easy to make it from scratch!
You can also use this for pumpkin sausage cornbread stuffing! Just replace your plain cornbread with this pumpkin corn bread.
This pumpkin puree cornbread is easy with just regular canned pumpkin (like you use for pumpkin pie recipes).
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Crisco or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Place Crisco (or vegetable oil) into a cast iron skillet. Heat skillet on stovetop on low while preparing rest of recipe.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Make a well in the middle of the ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add brown sugar, making sure there are no clumps. Stir in melted butter and pumpkin until combined. Mix in eggs and milk.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into well of dry ingredients. Fold with a spatula until just combined and no dry ingredients can be seen. Do not overmix or it could make your cornbread crumbly!
- With the cast iron skillet, carefully swirl oil until it covers the entire skillet. Pour batter into hot skillet and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before cutting into squares or triangles for serving.
We made this as a cast iron pumpkin cornbread recipe, but you can use cornbread muffin tins or a baking pan, too.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 309mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.