The Christmas Eve Box is a fun gift idea for kids and great night before Christmas activities. They are Christmas Eve crates filled with small gifts and goodies and make great Christmas Eve kids activities. If you’re wondering what to do before Christmas, try this holiday night before Christmas game or family activity!
What Are Christmas Eve Boxes and How to Do The Christmas Eve Box Tradition With Kids
You may be wondering what’s the the Christmas Eve box game trend. It’s a fun gift crate or big gift box full of Christmas presents that a family opens on the night before Christmas in anticipation of the big day the next day / Christmas morning. If you’re wondering what do you do on Christmas Eve, this is one of those super fun kids activities while kids wait for Santa’s arrival!
Here are fun DIY Christmas Eve box ideas to start as new traditions for the holidays…
How do you make a Christmas Eve box?
Easy Christmas Eve Box Ideas:
- Pajamas for the whole family
- Cozy Christmas socks
- Candy canes
- Christmas movies
- Cookie mix is a Mason jar (to make cookies for Santa)
- Hot chocolate mix in a Mason jar or hot chocolate packs
- Filled Christmas stocking
- Dated Christmas tree ornament with the current year (or personalize Christmas ornament with names)
- The Night Before Christmas Book or Pajama Elves book
- Reindeer food
- Cozy blanket
See the full list of boxed Christmas Eve gift ideas for kids, toddlers, teens, and adults below. KEEP SCROLLING for a ton of great items for what goes into a Christmas Eve box and even how to create a theme holiday crate! We have unique Christmas Eve box ideas for themes, too!
If you’re new to this fun Christmas holiday activity, you may be wondering what is the tradition of a Christmas Eve box?
What Are Christmas Eve Boxes?
Many people make them as Christmas Eve pajama box gifts for the entire family to get everyone into a festive spirit. Others use them as the night before Christmas games boxes for family games or holiday movie night boxes with movies treats. Sometimes, people use them as childrens Christmas box gifts to give kids a nice, special gift before they open the rest of their gifts on Christmas day. A Christmas Eve box is also called a Christmas Eve crate, Christmas Eve chest boxes, or night before Christmas hamper (and there are other names for Christmas eve boxes).
Also, some parents make it a Night Before Christmas Box game and send kids on a scavenger hunt (with Christmas Eve box printable clues) and make it fun game to find their box for Christmas Eve.
There are different ways to present the Christmas gifts and special treat ideas. You can start this new family tradition for the holidays in any way that works best for your family!
Some people use a cardboard box, a cute wooden crate, or even these fun stackable holiday boxes for stuffing their Christmas Eve box with fillables.
Pajama Elves Box
There is also something called the Pajama Elves Box. The Christmas Eve Pajama Elves Box is a box made by Santa’s elves and filled with Christmas PJs and other holiday goodies. The pajamas are made with a special magic thread that helps keep kids asleep when Santa comes to deliver gifts. It’s another fun Christmas Eve boxes ideas and a way to keep the magic of the season alive for kids.
There is a Pajama Elves book that goes along with playing the Christmas Eve box game this way. Be sure to order it early and read it with the kids so they know!
You can even include a letter from the North Pole on 24th December!
When should a Christmas Eve box be used?
They’re called Christmas Eve boxes because most people give them on the evening of December 24th and makes for fun Christmas eve gift ideas for kids who are excited about getting gifts on December 25th (Christmas Day). However, you can do it the day before Christmas and some people even give them at Thanksgiving right after they put their Christmas tree up.
Do you wrap Christmas Eve box presents?
You can wrap Christmas Eve box presents. Many people just place the Christmas Eve gift ideas in the gift box or gift crate in a fun gift presentation and give it that way. However, you can do whatever you think will be most fun for your family night before Christmas gift box!
You could even do a family scavenger hunt for each wrapped gift gifts to put in Christmas Eve box. As gifts are found, put them in the Christmas crate and then unwrap them together once all the holiday gifts have been found.
If you’re new to this holiday activity, you may wonder who brings the Christmas Eve box or where do Christmas Eve boxes come from?
Is a Christmas Eve box from Santa or Parents?
Night before Christmas Eve boxes can be from parents, elves, Father Christmas or Santa. Some parents give special gifts to each kid in the night before boxes. Some play the family tradition box by saying that Santa’s elves drop off the eve of Christmas boxes and it’s filled with pajamas for Christmas day and other holiday goodies. There’s no right or wrong way to do Christmas Eve boxes and don’t get caught up on the perfect gift! Just use it to enjoy the holiday season together as a family!
What do people put in a Christmas Eve box?
Need Night before Christmas boxes ideas? Here’s how to put together a Christmas Eve box for your child, teenager, family, or even theme Christmas Eve box ideas! Remember, you can create your night before boxes any way you want! These are just ideas and tips for Christmas boxes.
Let’s start with fun ideas for childs Christmas Eve box…
What is in a Christmas Eve Box for Kids?
- Christmas Eve pjs
- Fun Christmas socks
- Personalized Christmas ornament with children’s names
- Snowman soup
- Small toys
- Special key for Santa to use (especially if you don’t have a fireplace!)
- Holiday books
- Hot cocoa with mini marshmallows
- Chocolate Christmas coins
- Winter pillowcase / Christmas pillow case
- Christmas craft kit
- Small treats or Christmas candy
- Build A Snowman treat bags for fun activities
- Letter from Santa or letter from Santa Elves (if your Christmas box is from them and not you)
If you’re doing individual crates for kids at Christmas time, try a custom Christmas box with child’s name! Such a cute idea and then you can reuse the wooden Christmas Eve box crate every year!
*If you’re doing the Christmas Eve box game for a Christmas party or for a large family sleepover, do small Christmas boxes like this with treats for everyone.
Family Christmas Box Ideas
A family holiday box is usually a Christmas Eve pj box so that the family can wear matching pajamas the morning of Christmas Day while opening gifts around the Christmas tree.
For a Christmas crate for family and even extended family members, focus on things that help you spend time together on Christmas Eve.
Ideas for Christmas In a Box for Families:
- Matching Christmas pajamas (New pajamas! There are plenty of options now for matching holiday jammies!)
- Holiday slippers
- Hot chocolate jars like this
- Things to make popcorn garland for the Christmas tree (one of our favorite family Christmas crafts!)
- Christmas board games or holiday card games (we love this one and this one for family games / night before Christmas games)
- Holiday snacks
- Christmas crackers poppers
- Reindeer Mix ingredients (use this reindeer food recipe with free printable)
- Twas The Night Before Christmas storybook
- Holiday puzzles or winter puzzle (we love this puzzle brand! BEST EVER!)
- Family holiday ornament
Settle around the fire or Christmas tree, open your Christmas Eve gift boxes, and then pick one of these family holiday movies and spend time together!
You can also make custom Christmas boxes for your family by decorating a Christmas box or even getting personalized Christmas Eve gift box with your names like this one.
Here’s what to put Christmas Eve box for different age levels…
Christmas Eve Box Ideas For Teenage Kids
Christmas Eve Box Ideas For Teenage or Tweens:
- New winter pajamas or Christmas onesie
- Portable Selfie Kit like this
- Christmas MadLibs
- Naughty or Nice pillowcase
- Popcorn pack (like Moose Munch)
- Takis variety pack
- Fun holiday mug with hot chocolate packets
- Hot chocolate stirrers
- Gourmet marshmallows
- Lumps of coal
- Funny naught or nice Santa letter
- Sweet treats
- Candy Cane pens and journals
- Gift cards
What To Put In Christmas Eve Box For Toddler
You can also do a special toddler’s Christmas Eve box. Just make sure that all the small gifts for younger kids are safe.
Christmas Eve Box For Toddlers Ideas:
- Cute Santa pajamas
- Christmas felts
- Christmas suckers
- Christmas coloring book and crayons
- Wood Christmas puzzle like this
- Christmas books / winter books
- Plush toys
- Letter from Santa or Santa’s Elves
Christmas Eve Box For Adults
What about adult Christmas Eve boxes? YES! You can also do a Christmas Eve box for adults! These are even fun theme Christmas Eve box ideas for couples!
Christmas Eve box ideas for couples and adults:
- Matching winter socks
- Cozy winter blanket (I love this chunky blanket)
- Specialty chocolate cordials or chocolates
- Hot apple cider packs
- Fun couples Christmas mugs
- Festive wine glasses and favorite wine (or sparkling cider)
- Gourmet caramels
- Fresh fruit like apples and oranges
Get creative with Christmas eve gift ideas for adults!
Christmas Eve Box Ideas For Babies
Whether you’re doing a Baby’s First Christmas Eve Box to make a newborn Christmas special or have
Ideas for baby Christmas Eve box:
- Cute baby Christmas sleeper p.j. onesie
- Baby’s first Christmas tree ornament
- Soft baby holiday books (this is a cute one with a teether ring)
- Christmas sippy cups
- Christmas plushies
Grandparents Christmas Eve Box Ideas
For grandparent Night Before Christmas crates, think memorable and meaningful Christmas Eve box ideas!
Christmas Eve box ideas what to put in for grandma and grandpa:
- Framed pictures of grandkids
- Favorite teas or coffees with new mug for the holidays
- Snuggly slippers
- Box of greeting cards and nice pen
- Grandparent day out coupons for quality time with the family
- Nice robes
Here are fun Christmas Eve box ideas for holiday themes / winter themes.
Theme Ideas for Christmas Eve box Fillers
Get creative with these Christmas Eve box make your own themes!
Book Christmas Eve Box Theme
If you have a family of readers then a book box is a fun way to create a quiet, stress-free night before Christmas (and a great idea for the start of a Christmas Eve tradition!).
- Book for everyone (kids books and adult books)
- Cozy socks
- Hot chocolate packets, teas, mugs
- Clip-on book light
Tea Christmas Eve Box Theme
- Different teas
- Holiday mugs for each person
- Holiday socks
- Honey straws
- Tea biscuits
- Big blanket
- Holiday scented candles
Family Movie Night Christmas Eve Box
A family movie night box is a
- Christmas movie
- Fun popcorn holders (we have these and love that they’re reusable)
- Assorted popcorn flavorings
- Movie snacks
- Gourmet popcorn packs
Put it all in a fun popcorn gift container like this.
Christmas Eve Crafts and Cookies Crate
A Christmas cookies and craft crate is another great way to have family time together during the busy holidays!
- Hot chocolate and mugs
- Christmas cookie mix
- Christmas cookie cutters
- Bead ornaments craft
- Treemendous Ornament Decorator
- Snowman beads craft ornament
What’s inside Christmas eve boxes, how you want to do Christmas night before boxes, and how you add these to your new family Christmas traditions is totally up to you! It’s full of Christmas fun for the Christmas season!