One of best egg salad recipes EVER! If you need an easy egg salad recipe or looking for egg recipes, boiled egg recipes, egg salad sandwich recipe, recipes with leftover Easter egg, or even as a summer salad topping, you’ll love this. This vintage egg salad recipe is also one of those easy recipes for kids to make or have as an after school snack.
BEST EGG SALAD RECIPES FOR EGG SALAD SANDWICHES, SUMMER SALADS, OR EASY SNACK FOR KIDS!
Egg salad is easy to make from scratch! If you want to make these as egg salad recipes healthy options, substitute the mayo with plain Greek yogurt. If you’re drooling for an old fashioned egg salad sandwich recipe or even a toddler egg salad or an egg salad for kids as an after school snack, this is the best egg salad recipe to use!
How do you make easy egg salad from scratch?
Egg salad how to make from scratch – egg salad recipe list:
- Hard boiled eggs (fresh eggs or even leftover boiled eggs)
- Dill (optional)
Don’t miss the full boiled egg salad recipe basic directions below. Keep scrolling!
What do you use to make egg salad?
What can I use instead of mayo in egg salad?
What you can substitute for mayonnaise in egg salad:
- Olive oil
- Sour cream
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Cream cheese
- Coconut milk
- Mashed avocado
- Ricotta cheese
- Cottage cheese
- Apple cider vinegar
Making egg salad with avocado, hummus, or yogurt makes a healthy egg salad recipe! (And still a super simple recipe!)
What can I add to egg salad?
Looking for a unique egg salad recipe? Try substituting or adding ingredients!
Egg salad recipe variations:
- Chopped pickles / dill pickles
- Black Olives
- Grilled chicken (for chicken egg salad)
- Green olives (yes! Some people make egg salad with green olives!)
- Red onion
- Green onions
- Fresh parsley
- Curry powder
- Dijon mustard
- Ground mustard (dried mustard)
- Fresh herbs
- Dash of lemon juice
- Chopped chives
- Old Bay Seasoning
Any of these can be a secret ingredient and make a great recipe, they’re just different from the classic egg salads recipes with simple ingredients.
MORE EGG RECIPES: HOW TO MAKE TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEVILED EGGS
YOU’LL ALSO HAVE FUN WITH THESE EGG ACTIVITIES:
What does egg salad go with?
Easy egg salad ideas:
- Slices of bread
- Halved avocados
- Baked potatoes
- Lettuce leaves for wraps or egg salad lettuce cups (a Romaine lettuce leaf cup makes healthy quick lunches for kids and moms!)
- Flat bread or Naan
- Celery sticks
- Pita or pita chips
- Toast (for basic egg salad sandwiches, aka: boiled eggs sandwich)
- Potato Chips
- Alone! (It’s yummy, especially if you use this best easy egg salad recipe! It has such a creamy texture!)
How many eggs to make egg salad for 2?
Our easy egg salad recipe serves four good size portions. If you only want to make egg salad for two people, you could use four eggs hard boiled.
Tips For Making The Best Egg Salad Recipe
What is the best way to chop eggs for egg salad?
The best way to chop eggs for egg salad is to use an egg slicer or a sharp knife.
Here are the best ways to chop eggs to put in egg salad:
- If using an egg slicer, place a hard-boiled egg on its side in the slicer and press down on the wires to slice the egg in one direction. Then rotate the egg 90 degrees and slice again, This helps create small, even pieces, which is great for egg salad recipes or egg salad sandwiches.
- If using a knife, slice the hard-boiled egg in half lengthwise, and then slice it in half crosswise. Hold each quarter together and slice it into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
TRY EGG SLICERS LIKE THIS (GREAT IF KIDS ARE HELPING YOU COOK AND EASIER TO CUT EGG PIECES WITHOUT A KNIFE!)
How long does egg salad keep?
How long should you keep egg salad in the refrigerator? Covered and refrigerated, fresh egg salad can be store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container. However, if it is out at room temperature for more than 2 hours, it is recommended that you discard the egg salad because bacteria can grow after that.
Can egg salad be made ahead?
Yes, you can make egg salad ahead of time (3-5 days) if it is stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Wait to add any fresh herbs, vegetables, or proteins (like chicken) until just before serving to prevent the egg salad and other items from becoming soggy.
How do you keep egg salad from getting soggy?
You may be wondering how do you make egg salad not watery? Sometimes egg salad will get watery or appear soggy, especially if it’s sitting out for a while. Stir the egg salad. If it is still runny, add more chopped egg whites and yolks to the egg salad. To keep your egg salad sandwich from getting soggy, store separately from the bread in your lunch or make the sandwiches and refrigerate right close to the serving time.
What makes egg salad watery?
Is your egg salad watery? Egg salad can become watery due to excess moisture from the ingredients, such as pickles, mayonnaise, or other liquids.
Here are a few tips to prevent or fix watery egg salad:
- Drain the hard-boiled eggs before chopping them.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove any excess liquid from pickles, onions, or other ingredients before adding them to the salad.
- Use a thicker or creamier mayonnaise or sour cream to reduce the amount of liquid.
- Try adding more chopped hard-boiled eggs or a use mashed avocado or hummus to absorb the extra moisture.
How do you know when egg salad goes bad?
If egg salad develops a sour or unpleasant odor, or if it has a slimy texture or an off color, it may have gone bad. You should discard it at that point. It’s best to consume egg salad within three to five days of preparation if kept refrigerated at or below 40°F (4°C) and hasn’t set out (like at a picnic, cookout, or party) for more than a couple of hours.
Can I freeze leftover egg salad?
You can freeze egg salad, but it will not be the same as fresh egg salad. After thawing, the eggs will become rubbery and the texture of the egg salad will be grainy. So, while you can safely freeze and eat egg salad that has been frozen, you probably won’t be happy with the results.
OK! Let’s get to how make egg salad. This is a simple egg salad recipe and here’s how make egg salad step by step…
Egg Salad How To Make It Like Grandma’s Recipe
How To Make Creamy Egg Salad
I happen to think that this egg salad recipe makes the best egg salad sandwich recipe ever — like the vintage recipe my grandma used to make, which is an egg salad recipe southern way!
It’s just as yummy on salad or in lettuce cups or even alone! (It’s a great egg salad for toddlers and kids snacks!)
KID RECIPE TIP: If you cut this egg salad recipe tea sandwiches sizes, your kids will be more likely to eat them!
(It’s great for an egg salad recipe Thanksgiving leftover eggs or if you’re wondering what to do with Easter eggs, too!)
I love that you can make this quick easy egg salad with leftover boiled eggs. This is the easy homemade egg salad I remember my mom making with leftover Easter eggs from a recipe from my grandma!
(We used it as a simple egg salad sandwich filling.)
You can also make this an easy egg salad recipe with pickles (or an easy egg salad recipe with relish). Just chop up pickles (or use sweet pickle relish or dill relish) and add them with the rest of the ingredients for an easy deviled egg salad!
(Making this easy egg salad with mayo and mustard and pickles tastes a little more like a deviled egg recipe, I think!)
Some people like to make egg salad without mustard. If you’re not a mustard person, leave it out! It’s just a matter of taste. (Personally, our family loves it making the recipe as-is.)
Also, you can leave out the onion for the best egg salad recipe no onion!
PRO TIP: Using a good mayonnaise will make all the differences in this recipe. We only use Hellmann’s mayo.
Here’s how to make easy egg salad and the easy egg salad ingredients (be sure to hard boil eggs and not soft boil them!). You can easily double or triple this for a large batch for a crowd recipe.
DON’T MISS OUR RECIPE AND READ ACTIVITY FOR KIDS TO GO WITH THIS RECIPE AFTER THE PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD!
- 8 hard boiled eggs, cooled and peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard or Dijon mustard
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill) (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut eggs in half. Remove yolks and place in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside. Coarsely chop egg whites. Set aside.
- Mash eggs yolks with a fork. Add in mayonnaise and mustard. Stir until combined and smooth.
- To the egg yolk mixture, add in chopped egg whites, green onions, celery, and dill (optional). Stir until combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste. If serving in a bowl, sprinkle with dill and green onions before serving (optional).
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 385mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.
How many eggs to make egg salad for 2?
Our easy recipe for egg salad makes four nice size servings using 8 boiled eggs. However, if you want an egg salad recipe 2 servings, decrease the number of hard-boiled eggs to four. This will still give you nice serving sizes for two people.
RECIPE AND READ ACTIVITY: Egg Books for Kids
To make this a cook with books and for reading and cooking activities for kids, try these!
Fun children’s books about eggs:
- The Good Egg
- An Egg Is Quiet
- Egg by Kevin Henkes
- An Extraordinary Egg
- The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
- The Good Egg and the Talent Show (I Can Read Level 1)
READ THIS NEXT: EGG KID ACTIVITY IDEAS
Want to also make dessert eggs with kids to go with your easy delicious egg salad recipe?
Learn How To Make Slime That Looks Like Eggs